Microsoft Competency Overview
What is MPR and how does it help me with my MPN membership?
- MPR provides validation of technology use as well as solutions commercial availability. MPR makes available the MPR Test tool which provides self-tests to validate your application meets certain MPN requirements.
What are Competency Tests?
- A Microsoft gold or silver competency can differentiate your company in the marketplace and enable you to capitalize on market opportunities by utilizing tailored competency benefits. To earn these different competency levels as an ISV company, your application must pass tests that are provided in the MPR program. Learn more about the ISV competency here.
What are the benefits of attaining an ISV Competency?
- When you earn the Microsoft Independent Software Vendor (ISV) competency, you gain access to valuable benefits, such as: Internal-use software licenses, Technical and sales training, Microsoft competency logo, Premier listings in customer directories and Presales support. Benefits may vary by country, for more details visit the Microsoft partner portal.
Is the ISV competency the only competency which requires MPR validation?
- No, Microsoft is enabling application providers to qualify for competencies such as Messaging, BI, Data Platform and Mobility. A complete listing of competency requirements can be found on the Microsoft partner portal.
What are the benefits of testing?
- Testing your application is one of the steps in gaining MPN competencies. By testing your application you can be assured that your application is working with the list of platform technology requirements that has been set by Microsoft.
I used to test with Veritest, what is the difference between MPR tests and the Veritest Tests?
- The MPR tests are self-service tests. MPR provides the MPR Test Tool which you will need to download and run in conjunction with your application. Upon successful completion, the test tool will create a verification file which you can upload into MPR.
What is the testing Process?
- The Testing process can be slightly different depending on the Microsoft platform technology you are testing. It is important to read the Getting Started page on the Test Tab before you begin the testing process. We will give you specific requirements your application will need to meet to ensure you successfully pass.
Just finished my application but a new release of the technology has just shipped, what do I do?
- The technology test will be available for competency testing for 12 months after shipping of a new release.
Does an MPR Validation Test expire?
- No, MPR validation tests do not expire. However, the tests will be updated with each major product release.
Are the apps profiled in MPR only available to one person for editing/uploading test results?
- Yes, only the user who uploaded the results to their account will be able to see the tested product or test results from MPR.
What is the price of the tests and how do I pay?
- Each test is priced at 499 USD or the equivalent in the supported local currencies and can be paid by credit card.
Do I need to pay to use the MPR tool?
- No, using the MPR test tool is free, however if you want to use the results to qualify for a Microsoft Partner Network Competency you will need to upload your application test result and continue with the validation process which costs 499 USD.
When do I pay the validation fee?
- The validation fee is paid in the Test My Apps tab within Microsoft Platform Ready. Upon uploading your MPR test tool results file and continuing to provide the necessary validation information you will be prompted for payment information.
I failed the validation test, can I take it again?
- Yes. If your application fails validation you will be provided with a reason for failure. You may fix the issue and resubmit up to two additional times before you will be required to pay additional validation fees. I have very legitimate reasons why my App is failing, can I get a waiver?
- You can request for a Test Waiver in the Test My Apps page. The validation process is designed to support minimum requirements so waivers are rarely granted. You must also pay the validation fee as part of a waiver request.
How can I check the status of my validation test?
- Upon a successful validation attempt, your results are automatically submitted to MPN and you can see this in your profile. Your validation testing results are also posted in the “Test My Apps” tab.
When can I expect to see a new technology test for competency testing in MPR?
- New MPR tests are not released until 30 days after product General Availability.
Do all technologies utilize the MPR Test Tool?
- No, some technologies have their own automated testing framework and we work with the product teams to utilize existing testing when feasible.
Where can I find the technology pre-requisites for the MPR Test Tool?
- Please download and review the MPR Test Tool documentation.
Where can I find the testing requirements?
- Please download and review the MPR Test Tool documentation.
Integration with MPN
Do I need to update MPN with the MPR test results?
- No, MPR is integrated with MPN and a successful validation is automatically submitted to MPN on your behalf within minutes of completion.
We successfully passed the technology test but our test result is not listed on our MPN site?
- This is symptomatic of one of the following issues: 1. Your Microsoft Account ID (formally LIveID) is not associated with your Microsoft Partner Network account, to fix see below. 2. You have not yet completed the full application validation process. Make sure you continue with the validation process after you upload the MPR test results. Once you have entered the required validation information it may take up to 5 additional business days to complete the process. Step 5: contacting the Regional Service Center.
How do I associate my MPR account to my MPN account?
- · When you sign up on Microsoft Platform Ready, your company information is automatically input through your Microsoft ID (formerly known as Live ID). Your Microsoft ID must be associated to your MS Partner Network account for your company information to automatically be input. You can use the simplified association process to associate your Live ID to your MPN account, if you need assistance please contact the Regional Service Center. You should then be able to successfully sign up to MPR.
I’m having trouble with the Windows 8 (Windows Application Compatibility Kit) or Windows 7 (WLCK) test tool?
How do I submit my Windows 8 application to the Windows Store?
- Here is a blog all about submitting applications to the Windows Store.
I am running a Windows 8 client but can only test Windows Server 2012
- The test tool only supports a Windows 8 client for testing Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8. To test other technologies, please run the test tool from a Windows 7 client or Windows Server 2008 R2.
Do you have any vouchers, or coupons for the3rd party Gold level Windows Server 2008 R2 application test?
- We do not offer vouchers for the LionBridge tests, but you could contact LionBridge to see if they have any promotional or discounted offers.
I am getting ready to run the MPR Test Tool on our product and need to input the “Application ID”, where can I find this?
- The application ID is listed under the test tab in your application profile in MPR. Note that you MUST use the same application ID you intend on using for the test submission.